Ringing in Fall with Bell Sleeves (and Other Trends)
Well Fall is officially here (although in Denver it’s not quite feeling like it most days) and that means it’s about time to pull out our favorite go-to sweaters and also try out some new Fall ’16 styles (yay!). I’ve actually mentioned to a number of friends recently how much I love this season’s fashion trends and how I kind of want to buy everything at the moment (anyone with me?)! There are just some seasons where I love all the stylish things going on and this is definitely one of them. But since most of us can’t afford to buy absolutely everything out there, I’ve compiled a list of my must-have fall styles (and included Rachel Zoe’s too).
So for the Fall Classics, we have:
- A Moto-Jacket.....I love a traditional leather one, but I also have a fun nubby wool one that I picked up at Anthropologie last winter and a new pale pink microsuede one from Midnight Rambler here in Denver. Can’t go wrong with any of these options if you ask me. *Pairs well with: Pretty much anything. (Think dresses, skirts, denim, workout-wear, you name it.)
- Boyfriend Jeans....Yes, these have definitely become a staple piece in my closet (and the closets of lots of other girls I know). I know husbands and boyfriends actually hate them, but let’s be honest, we don’t really dress for them do we? *Pairs well with: A basic white tee or a dressier top, choker and ankle boots or a tee and sneakers...And a leather moto-jacket of course.
- Over-the-Knee Boots....Another style that has become a classic (I don’t see them going away anytime soon...or ever really) and that can be found in both flat and heeled varieties. I personally love a good suede pair because I think it softens the look and keeps everything super-chic and classy. *Pairs well with: A mini dress, a sweater and denim combo, or even a simple tee and jacket.
- Flared Denim....So this isn’t new, but it’s definitely made a comeback this year and I for one am a fan. I personally think flared jeans are flattering on so many body types and help to elongate the legs and give a really slim, chic silhouette (nothing wrong with that, am I right?) *Pairs well with: A fitted or cropped top or sweater and heeled ankle boots. I also love em with bell sleeve tops (to mimic the leg flare) or a cropped fur or suede jacket.
Fall ’16 Trends:
- Velvet....one word, YES. I’m just a little bit obsessed with velvet everything and am seriously having a hard time stopping myself from way over-purchasing when it comes to this trend. But I’m especially loving velvet ankle boots, cami-style tops and dresses. And color-wise my faves are burgundy, navy and steel gray. *Pairs well with: Depends on what the velvet piece is (I’d do a velvet cami with distressed jeans for a casual look or with a skirt for something dressier and I love a velvet ankle boot with boyfriend jeans, a tee and moto-jacket or with flared jeans and a sweater or with a mini-dress and tights.
- Bomber Jackets....These were actually around this past spring too but they are sticking around and I’m happy they are. I especially love ones with embroidered details and have also seen some great leather ones too. *Pairs well with: Wide-leg pants and a tank, a suede mini-skirt or raw-hem cropped jeans and ankle boots.
- Embroidered Denim....I am a huge fan of fun details so this trend is right up my alley. It just takes a basic up a little notch. *Pairs well with: Something simple like a solid-color tee or top so that the denim details are the standout part of the outfit.
- Bell-Sleeves....That’s another resounding YES in my book! Love these so much, I actually designed 3 or 4 styles with bell-sleeve detail this season, like the top pictured here. I just love the femininity and movement of this type of sleeve (and of course the 70’s vibes).
- Chokers....Absolutely yes. So I was not actually cool in the 90s when these were so big, so I am totally embracing this trend now (glad almost everything comes back around). Simple, easy and such an effortless type of cool....And most are pretty inexpensive and also really easy to make (I’ve made most of mine myself, including the one in these pics, and if you need any DIY tips to make your own, I’d be more than happy to share!)
Ok so that’s my personal list of faves when it comes to this fall season, but check out the link below for Rachel Zoe’s must-haves (I agree with all of hers too....Obviously. She’s kind of a fashion guru.)
So what are your favorite fall trends or staple pieces? I’d love to hear!